Everyone knows long distance relationships are hard, especially when one (or both) of you are studying abroad. Trust us, it's not easy and LDR's are not for everyone, but there's pros and cons to both.
Lucky in Love: It is rumored that a decent size percent of us meet their significant others in college. This means, that many people study abroad with a boyfriend or girlfriend back in the states counting down the days until they get back. I don't know from personal experience, but a lot of people that I met while I was abroad had relationships back home. So here are just a few ways to help maintain that relationship.
1. Communicate - It is really easy to get caught up with travel, the lifestyle, or classes abroad and having a big time difference doesn't help. Take a few seconds out of your day to make sure they know you are thinking about them. Send them a good morning text before they wake up or set up a time to make sure to talk every so often. They will like that you are thinking about them. :]
2. Skype Dates - With technology in today's society, it is easy to have face to face contact with someone even if they are thousands of miles away. Plan times that you are both open to go on a date via Skype. Whatever you guys want to do can most likely be done via Skype, no matter what it is.
3. Snail Mail - Who doesn't love getting mail the old fashioned way? Send them a small package or a love letter. It is something that is so simple, yet is most likely appreciated a whole bunch. The best way is to not tell them it's coming either, surprises are great.
4. Send Pictures - Pictures are worth a thousand words and some things you see abroad are worth a million. Send pictures just to them that you don't put on Facebook or Instagram. They will love it.
5. Stay Loyal - It is extremely easy to get caught up in the moment abroad. You can be whomever you want to be while you are abroad and sometimes, that can get the best of you. Remember how much your significant other is missing you as they are stuck at home.
Overall, be supportive and positive any way you can! Negativity and jealousy will not help!
Five Tips About Love Abroad for the you, yourself and only you.
1. Be Spontaneous - You are only abroad once. As long as you are smart and safe, go to dinner with a hot foreign guy, or get a drink with the guy in your class that lives on the other side of the states back home. It can't hurt.
2. Be Smart - I am not saying that every person in the country you are in are bad people, but some of them are. A lot of guys are just looking for benefits, if you know what I mean, so make sure to be fully aware of the situation.
3. Be Realistic - Keep in mind that if you are seeing someone while you are abroad, the chances of the relationship lasting are pretty slim. I don't mean to sound cynical because sometimes it works, but as long as your expectations are low from the beginning, it might hurt less if it doesn't work out.
4. Be Safe - If you are going on that date, make sure that someone knows where you are at all times. This kind of goes without saying but you are in a country that is still kind of new to you, with people that are kind of new to you as well.
5. Be Social - Play the field a little, you're single remember. ;]
Either way, it's up to you! Like I said, there are both pros and cons to both and there's no reason you should feel pressured either way. This is your study abroad time (and it should be one of the best times of your life). Don't let anything hold you back and don't forget to live it up! You're going to meet amazing people and do incredibly wonderful things while you're here in Europe!
Check us out at www.euroadventures.com and feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com! We're here to help in any way we can (as well as take you to amazingly beautiful destinations all around Europe!)
Follow EuroAdventures on Instagram and at our Facebook page too!
If you want to follow my personal blog, feel free to check it out at the link below!